The Elmhurst Park District held a dog park planning open house on Thursday, July 12 at The Abbey to solicit feedback from residents on a future dog park. Following the meeting, an online survey was posted and more than 130 people provided additional feedback. Now you have a chance to vote on a design concept for the park! Join us Thursday, July 26 from 5:00-8:00 p.m. at The Abbey to view the concepts and vote for your favorite.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Where will the dog park be located? In 2017, the Elmhurst Park District purchased the former trailer park property on Old York Road. The property is contiguous with the District’s boundaries and is approximately 3.4 acres. The current plan is to construct the community’s first dog park on that site.
2. When will it be built? This is to be determined based on a number of factors including cost. The open house and online survey were the first step in determining the elements the community would like to see.
3. How much will it cost to build? Based on public input, cost estimates can be put together and reviewed by the Board and staff.
4. Will there be separate areas for big dogs and small dogs? Yes, that is currently the plan.
5. Will a permit be required to use the dog park? Yes.
6. Will there be a cost for a permit? Yes.
7. Will I have an opportunity to provide feedback on the design of the dog park? Yes! There will be another open house on Thursday, July 26 in which concept boards will be presented. We invite you to stop by The Abbey and provide input on the proposed designs at that time.
Dog Park Planning Documents